Think Like a Trout, Act Like a Bug.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Quick Float on the Red Deer River

Early morning cool temperatures and wind kept most hatches (or at least rising fish) in check on the Red Deer River this past weekend.  The few fish that were rising were doing so sporadically and I was unable to figure them out. Things did calm down in the afternoon as temperatures climbed into the high 20's but the blazing sun did little to entice fish into surface feeding mode. I am sure that if I could have stayed on the river into the evening, more rising fish would have materialized.


Early morning on the Red Deer River

Regardless, I did well working Green Drake and Baetis nymphs in the runs, and soft water along the edges. I did hook a few decent browns but it was the good numbers of chunky whitefish that provided most of the entertainment for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment