Think Like a Trout, Act Like a Bug.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Gettin' Skunked (The Hard Way)

Over the years I have embarked on many questionable fishing trips; trips where information about the final destination is sketchy at best. These trips are often motivated by my desire to explore new territory and experience a little adventure – the need to go where few, if any, have gone before. Common elements of these excursions often include not knowing exactly how the fishing is (or even if there are any fish there at all), and difficult access (this usually means no trails, or at the very least a near impossible hike).  Despite the uncertainty, and varied outcomes, these forays into the wilderness are among my most memorable and satisfying experiences – even if I do sometimes come out fishless.

The August long weekend found me on such an excursion; into a lake that is known to contain fish but one that few have traveled to. It all started with me pouring over topo maps and making a few discrete inquiries. The many questionable looks I got told me that I was on the right track with this one – it was definitely a lake worth checking out. There were three possible approaches to the lake. The shortest one was out due to high water, the second one had limited trail information (as in not sure if there really was a trail), and the third (and longest) one involved a 22 km hike with a significant amount of bushwhacking. Naturally I chose the third approach.


The hike in went as expected and by dinner time I found myself (a little blistered and battered) on the shores of a remote mountain lake with almost no sign of anyone having ever been there – no garbage, no beer cans, no old fire pits...nothing. It was so quiet and still, save for the sounds of wind, birds and bugs. And the scenery was nothing short of amazing. This was paradise.

My first view of the lake

The morning view from camp - looking west

Come evening I did see the odd fish rise but the terrain surrounding the lake was quite rugged in places and steep slopes right down to the shoreline impeded access and/or casting. Waders would have helped here but I opted not to bring any in favor of a lighter pack. I did manage to get some short casts off in a few locations around the lake but the few small risers always seemed to be just out of reach.

Low impact camping - no tent and no fire

In the end I left the lake just as I found it - all fish unmolested, and no fire scar. I have to admit that the long hike out in the blazing sun all but did me in, but never before has getting skunked been so satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment