Think Like a Trout, Act Like a Bug.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Stauffer Creek Hatch Chart

Since I do most of my fishing on Stauffer creek in the early spring (March to May) with only the occasional trip through the summer, this hatch chart should be considered incomplete. Every year I say that I am going to try to fish it more through the summer but it seldom seems to work out that way. Part of it is due to the fact that there are so many other great trout streams to fish in the summer, and the other part is that the fishing on Stauffer becomes much more difficult as the season progresses. And on some level I admit that it could be my lack of motivation to fight my way through the thick willows, knee jarring beaver runs, and mosquito infested swamps that border much of the creek (Anyone who fishes Stauffer knows how difficult it can be to maintain a grip on ones sanity). Regardless, Stauffer Creek still holds many secrets that I hope to discover over the comming years..

Stauffer Creek Hatch Chart

6 comments:

  1. Rob, your blog was brought to my attention by The Drag Free Drift and I am so glad they did. Excellent site! I'm following so keep up the good works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Rob. Thanks for posting this hatch chart.

    A couple of questions. Are these the only abundant caddis species on Stauffer?Also, I have fished the pmd hatch well into the second week of Augutst. Could this be possible?

    Thanks.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul,

    I would have to say that caddis is the weakest part of the hatch chart. There are likely several other species hatching throughout the summer that play an important role but I have not fished or collected there enough to document them.

    PMD's into August is very likely. This group emerges well into August on other streams I fish so I can't see wny they wouldn't still be emerging on Stauffer.

    I hope to fish or at least collect more on Stauffer over the summer and update the hatch chart next spring.

    Cheers
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw a decent Caddis hatch today on Stauffer. Rather orange and large. It's late, and I'm not about to flip through my books when you may be able to surmise what that may be.

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to encounter this hatch on Stauffer, and without seeing a specimen I can only speculate - the most likely suspect would be a member of the caddisfly genus Limnephilus. There are a few species in this genus that are burnt orange to cinnamon in color. If the hatch is in progress, I like to use an amber antron sparkle caddis emerger with a brown or orange underbody. If it is the egg laying adults fluttering on the surface that are drawing attention, a simple deer hair caddis in the apropriate color with the occasional small twitch will work well.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the hatch chart it is a great tool as I plan on going up in the next month or so. Cheers

    ReplyDelete