Think Like a Trout, Act Like a Bug.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Breaking the Ice

I managed to get out to some brown trout water this past weekend, and even managed to catch a few fish.

The day started out a little on the chilly side (-8C) but given the heavy snow-pack, that was probably a good thing. The frozen crust on top of the two to three foot deep drifts kept me afloat (most of the time). Regardless, when I wasn't stuck up to my waist, I was still sinking more than a few inches with each step – getting around proved to be quite the workout.

The creek was in good shape with about a foot or so of visibility, and with the air temperature edging up to just 6C by the afternoon visibility remained relatively constant. I expect that will change as the temperatures rise and the local runoff builds momentum.


Winter stonefly hatches seem to be a week or two behind schedule this year - Utacapnia trava would normally be winding down by now but they were still coming off quite heavy in the afternoon. Zapada cinctipes were also a part of the mix. I did not see any females returning to the water to lay eggs.



It’s always nice to get out and catch those first fish of the season.


No comments:

Post a Comment